Welcome to Side by Side

Welcome to Side by Side, a special needs ministry of the MontgomeryEvangelical Free Church in Belle Mead, NJ.

This blog will share our experiences in ministering to people with special needs and their families in our church and in our community. We will also draw from the experiences of others. We’ll talk about resources we’ve found to be helpful and friends we’ve met along the way. We seek to encourage those with special needs and their families. We know we will be encouraged by them.

Our logo illustrates our philosophy. Note that both trees thrive from their interaction together. Similarly, Side by Side believes that everyone is made by God in His image, is uniquely gifted by Him and has much to share.

So, come along side. Side by Side, we’ll grow together.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Life is About Caring - Even in a Hardware Store


Probably one of the most desirable part time jobs for a new retiree is to work in a hardware store.  So, when my brother in law called and asked me if I was interested in working in his hardware store two days a week, he caught my attention.

Now, I’m not much of a handyman myself, but the possibility of working in a place that sells tools, hardware, electrical supplies, plumbing and paint seemed to appeal to my masculine side. Throw in John Deere, Stihl and Honda lawn equipment and this was too good to treat lightly.

I played it cagey.  “I won’t have to wear a funny vest, will I?”

“No.  No vest.”

“Do I get an employee discount?” 

“Yes, you get a discount.”

And now, the deal maker or deal breaker.  I purposely saved it for last. This would decide everything.  “What about the dumpster?  Would I have unlimited use of the dumpster?”

“For dumping or diving?”

“Sign me on.”

I’ve been there for about 6 years now. I enjoy the people I work with and I like the atmosphere of a small town, privately owned hardware store.  I decided that if this job was to be any fun at all, I would try to take a personal interest in each person that came through the door – find something I could talk about with each customer.  I take cues from their clothing, ask about their projects or admire their cars.

I’ve met some interesting people.  One of our customers is an author.  Another is an artist. One creates artwork from glass.  Some buy hardware to restore old cars or boats.  Another spent a small fortune on hardware for a homemade pumpkin launcher. There is no end to our customers’ creativity.  Of course, there are also the klutzes.  I try to encourage them that a project is successful if completed with no more than three trips to the store and no measurable blood shed.  That’s been my personal standard for years.

Children and dogs make for great customers.  Kids tend to break things or drive tractors into trees.  Dogs chew things.  One customer bought new garden hoses every two weeks or so because his dog kept chewing the old ones.  We don’t see him too often in winter time.

Sometimes customers come in and they are obviously hurting -- backs stooped over, a hitch in their step, deep circles under their eyes from interrupted sleep.  For others, the pain is less obvious.

One morning I welcomed a man as he came through the door. 
 
“Nails!” he responded.

This customer would be a challenge. I had flashed my best smile, gave a friendly greeting and he virtually ignored me.

I directed the customer to the fastener aisle and resolved to try to break through his icy facade.  When he came to the register, I noticed a Chesapeake Bay logo on his hat.

“Do you spend much time at the Chesapeake”? 

He looked at me and his face began to soften. His eyes warmed and his lips eased into a soft smile.  “My wife and I used to go there every summer.  We loved to fish together. It was one place we could really relax together. She died last month from Lupus.”

I told the man that my mother has also died from complications related to Lupus.  I offered my condolences and told him I would remember him in my prayers.  He thanked me and went on his way with a hint of a smile on his face and a box of nails in his hand.

Life is about caring – even in a hardware store.

Comments?  Suggestions?  We’d love to hear from you.  Come along side.  Side by Side we’ll grow together.

1 comment: